Summer is almost here! Days spent lounging poolside or tanning at the beach do not have to spell the end for your gorgeous dyed hair though. You just have to be more diligent about your hair care routine in the coming months. These tips for summertime maintenance will let you live bold all summer long.
1. Don’t Change Colors Until the Fall — If you’ve been thinking about swapping from one hair hue to another, it’s recommended that you wait until after summer’s over. No matter what you do, exposure to chlorine and daylight are going to lead to some fading, which is especially heartbreaking with freshly dyed hair.
2. Don’t Wash Your Hair Often — Go as often as you can without washing your hair. The more you shampoo and condition, the faster the color going to fade, especially if your hair is red. With summer sun leaching color already, you need to keep what you already have. Try to wash once a week if you can stand it. Dry shampoo will become your new best friend!
3. Keep Your Head Covered — Hats and scarves are both advised for those with dyed tresses. The less you can expose your head to the sun, the better your color will look for longer. You’re also doing your skin a favor, so this tip is a win-win.
4. Avoid Chlorine Exposure as Much as Possible — Chlorine is a chemical, and as such, it can and will transform the color of your dyed locks for the worse. If you have blonde hair or another light hue, you may wash your hair and notice that it looks green. If you colored your hair a fantasy color, a dip in the pool could ruin your pretty strands.
5. Skip the Hot Styling Tools — With the heat of summer, your hair is already going through enough. Don’t risk it becoming dry and brittle. Put down the hair straightener or curler. Let your locks air-dry after you’re done showering. Your hair will thank you.