Take full advantage of the summer’s bounty and include fresh vegetables and fruit in your cool-down smoothie. These blended beverages are ideal for post-workout hydration, meal replacements, and healthy snacks. Don’t derail your nutrition and fitness routine with high sugar, empty calorie shakes and frozen cocktails. Sip on these summer smoothies for breakfast, snacks or happy hour.
The building blocks of a healthy smoothie are three components: liquid, solid, and ice. Mix up your personlized flavor with this basic recipe:
One cup liquids: mix and match if you choose. In lieu of traditional dairy milk or water, try:
- iced coffee
- iced green tea
- rice milk, coconut milk, almond milk
Solids: 1/2 cup total of fruit or veggies. Mix and match or only use one solid ingredient
- fruit: fresh or frozen, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- veggies: try peeled beets, carrot, spinach, kale,
Optional smoothie enhancer: these add texture, flavor, and a powerful nutritional punch
- 1/4 cup creamy: Greek yougurt, frozen sliced banana, or fresh avacado
- 1/2 TBSP sweetner: raw honey, real maple syrup, agave
- 1/2 tsp flavor: cocoa powder, vanilla extract or bean, ginger, cinnamon or cayenne pepper
- Energy Boosts: check their serving guidelines and add: flax seed, chia seed, spirulina, matcha powder, acai powder or other boosters
These recipes will delight and deliver a healthy, yummy alternative to shakes, frappes, and frozen cocktails.
Cooking Classy’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Shake is creamy, cool, and satisfies a sweet tooth while starting your day with a protein packed smoothie. This is a great on-the-go breakfast that will keep you energizer until lunch.
Detox with The Glowing Fridge and her vegan and green Bikini Ready Smoothie. Fiber rich veggies provide the foundation for this sweet treat that adds no guilt. Check her out on Twitter and don’t forget t follow Vagaro for more curated healthy brain food.
Molly Morgan is your expert on healthy smoothies. Her creative solutions for healthy living. She wrote the book on healthy smoothies. We couldn’t pick just one recipe, so visit her on Twitter at @mollymorganrd and tell her we sent you!