Swimwear can be a challenging area when it comes to men’s fashion. To ensure you don’t commit a “fashion don’t” this summer, read the following do’s and don’ts of men’s swimwear:
Do’s of Men’s Swimwear
- Do Embrace Colors: Color is still trending this summer in men’s swimwear. Yes, you can still embrace classic colors like black. However, if you have always wanted to try out a pastel color or bring back a 90’s inspired print, go for it! This tailored swim shorts from Banana Republic is a perfect example of embracing color at the beach according to Esquire.
- Do Try a Pattern: Another trend you can embrace this year in swimwear are patterns. We already mentioned 90’s inspired prints, but you don’t have to stop there. You can also enjoy some trunks like these from Thorsun that feature happy toucans or these Orlebar Brown trunks that feature flamingos. Esquire believes patterns are something to be embraced not feared.
- Do Know Your Own Shape: According to Nick Bradley, designer and co-founder of Pangea Swim, there is no single cut or style of swimwear that flatters each and every body type. Therefore, you should understand your own shape and what looks best on your body type when choosing swimwear, much in the same way you would any other type of clothing.
- Do Consider Swimwear an Investment: Nick Bradley as part of a Men’s Journal article says “Swimwear is very much like denim: You get what you pay for.” Keep in mind, you don’t have to purchase several pieces of swimwear, just a few classic pieces that will age well. He says in general, the mesh will be where you can see the difference between a high quality and low-quality pair of swim shorts. He also says to avoid Velcro “at all costs.” Speaking of avoiding, on to our list of swimwear don’ts…
Don’ts of Men’s Swimwear
- Don’t Wear a Speedo: Annabel Rivkin of Tatler explains that no man should wear a Speedo to the beach. In fact, according to her, there is no social reason at all to wear such an item. It is simply unflattering on most bodies and a bit minimalist or “sparse” even for the ultra-athletic.
- Don’t Wear Certain Colors: Above, we mentioned colors are in. That’s true, but white and brown are some colors you should avoid, no matter the trend. They simply don’t look right when it comes to swimwear according to a Tatler article.
Keep the above do’s and don’ts in mind when choosing this year’s swimwear to ensure you look your best in and out of the water.
Header Photo by Seth Doyle on Unsplash