National Nail Polish Day 2019
June 1 is National
Nail Polish Day, and the timing of this whimsical celebration of brightly
colored nails couldn’t be more perfect. After all, June is when the weather is warm,
and more Americans spend their leisure time barefoot at the beach or pool or
wearing open-toed shoes showing off their fancy feet!
Did You Know?
- Nail polish has been around for over 5,000 years (that we know of!)
- In 3,000 B.C. China, royal families colored their nails with gold or silver
- Early nail polish formulas included ingredients such as henna, beeswax, egg white, gelatin, vegetable dyes, and gum Arabic
- In early Egypt, bright colors indicated higher status, while pale colors indicated lower classes
- Revlon launched nail polish as we know it now in the 1920s
- The first Revlon nail polish adapted its formula from automotive paint
- A dentist invented the first acrylic nails
- In the 1930’s the “Moon Manicure” was all the rage, where only the center part of the nail is painted and the cuticle and tip are left natural
- Uma Thurman’s Rouge Noir nail polish from Pulp Fiction is one of Chanel’s most in-demand products to date
- The French Tip manicure comes from California, not France
Not Just for Royals Anymore
Today, we live in a time of unprecedented freedom and creativity when it comes to how to wear our nails. For example, we’re no longer constricted by class—or even gender—to enjoy colored, manicured nails on our hands and feet. As a result, we now have a galaxy of options when it comes to creative nail art. Bright, bold, pale, shimmery, sheer, metallic, glittery, holographic—if you can dream it, you can wear it on your nails. For instance, manicures and pedicures can be a creative expression of your singular style, matched to complement an outfit, or even coordinated to commemorate an event. Due to the rise of social media (especially Pinterest!), nail art has really taken off. In fact, statistics show 2012 nail polish sales reaching a record $768 million!
Nail Care Is
Sure, painting your nails is a fun, whimsical way to express your personality and show off your style. But in today’s fast-paced, digital world, there’s another reason to take some time for yourself to schedule a manicure or pedicure and enjoy #NationalNailPolishDay—your way. Namely, self-care! It’s important to realize that for many, the time it takes to care for your nails provides a much-needed break from the demands of the world. So, with that in mind, put down the phone or step away from the keyboard. Relax, and allow yourself some pampering!
We want to see your nails!
We invite you to use #NationalNailPolishDay to post pictures of your favorite nail art creations, tag your favorite nail artist, or show us your nail goals for the summer!
Header Image @virin000 via Pixabay