Vagaro’s self-care survey was conducted by OnePoll in December 2020 and includes responses from over 2,000 Americans.
Disclaimer: The information contained on this site/blog is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice on any subject matter. You should not act or refrain from acting based on any content included herein without seeking legal or other professional advice. The contents of this blog contain general information and may not reflect current developments or address your situation. Vagaro disclaims any and all liability for actions you take or fail to take based on content on this blog. This site contains text, links, graphics, images, and other material that Vagaro is not responsible concerning the veracity or accuracy thereof, including but not limited to advice or content of such mediums.
These days, self-care is on everyone’s mind. Vagaro recently ran an online poll to find out what’s important to our businesses – and their customers! When it comes to this topic, our findings might surprise you and get you curious to learn more. Let’s take a look at some of 2021’s trends, customer attitudes and expectations, and how you can incorporate self-care into your life. We’ve also pulled together some of our favorite blogs to help you get started.
What Is Self-Care?
Self-care is any activity a person engages with in order to maintain or boost their physical, mental, or emotional health. Because every person is unique, there’s a wide variety of practices. Self-care might include anything from making tea or taking a 15-minute walk to meditation, manicures, or a square of dark chocolate before bed.
Self-Care is More Important Than Ever
“There’s an inevitable correlation between stress and self-care. Many people get so caught up in day-to-day responsibilities that they don’t prioritize time to take care of themselves. However, placing importance on activities that encourage relaxation can make you better equipped physically, mentally and emotionally to face life’s daily stressors.“
Fred Helou, CEO of Vagaro
Our survey found that the average person spends a little over an hour every week on activities they consider self-care. The ongoing stress of the pandemic and social distancing have prompted many people to prioritize the practice of taking care of themselves in a way they haven’t before. These practices are something they report they’re planning to do more of in 2021. Spa visits, manicures and pedicures, exercise, and meditation topped the list of their preferred self-care activities. Here are a few of our favorite posts about these activities!
- Meditation takes just minutes to practice, requires no special equipment, and can be done anywhere. If you’ve got five minutes and a quiet room, you can start right now!
- Need a spa day? Try these 5 at home facial peels that really work, a milk bath, some new uses for coffee, or get the 6 best benefits of mud masks.
- Did you know that Wellness Barbie can help you learn 5 easy lessons about self-care?
Self-Care Is a Stress Buster
There’s no question that after 2020, stress levels are off the charts. Self-care practices allow you to rest, triggering the body’s built-in relaxation response – kind of like the opposite of your body’s “fight-or-flight” response. This relieves the mental and physiological effects and prevents chronic stress, which can damage your health. That means that self-care is good for you inside and out, and it’s worth making a priority.
- Stress takes a toll on your body – find out how to stop stress in its tracks and create a healthier environment for yourself and your clients.
- Practice gratitude to take care of yourself and keep stress in check!
- Is COVID stress stealing your joy? Here are some easy ways to build self-care into your daily habits and zap that stress away.
Self-Care Has Big Benefits
What if I told you that you could improve your self-confidence, increase your productivity, and enjoy an overall happier life – and all it would cost is an hour a week dedicated to taking care of yourself? It’s true! Experts say that by taking care of yourself, you create a positive “domino effect” on your mental and physical health that has lasting effects.
- Start your day off right with a morning routine that centers self-care and sets you up to skip stress through the day!
- Not sure where to start? Try a live stream meditation, Yoga, or Reiki session and discover new, exciting ways to care for yourself in the comfort of your own home.
When you’re in the business of self-care, it can be tough to prioritize making time for yourself to relax, refresh, and reset. Explore the Vagaro Marketplace to make an appointment or live stream a self-care session!