With July comes the peak of summer heat, and it’s more important than ever to adjust your grooming routine to protect against the sun’s swelter! Luckily, personal maintenance in skin, hair, and nails has become more gender-inclusive lately, with an impressive spread of products that cater to men’s grooming needs. In our Ultimate Guide to Men’s Summer Grooming, we’re giving you tips that you can easily adjust from season to season to help you feel—and look! —your best.
Did you know that increased testosterone levels make men’s skin 25% thicker than women’s? Consequently, men’s skin also contains more collagen and elastin. But there’s a downside to being thicker-skinned—the American Academy of Dermatology reports that men are more susceptible to skin cancer, particularly melanoma. This is in part because of the increased thickness, elastin and collagen, but it’s also because men tend to be less proactive about skin care. Here’s how to keep your skin looking its best and protect yourself from harmful UVA and UVB damage!
- Wash Your Face. That’s an easy one, right? Daily cleansing helps control oil, clogged pores, blackheads, and adult acne. In the summertime, this is doubly true because you’re adding more sweat and dead skin cells into the mix because of the hotter weather. Make sure to take care of the T-zone (forehead, nose, chin) at least twice a day. Cleanse once before you go out into the elements, and again before bedtime so you’re not mashing the day’s dirt into your pillowcases.
- Use a Good Cleanser. Traditional bar soaps dry out your face and strip away natural oils. Make sure you choose a cleaner that’s suited for your skin type (oily, dry, sensitive, combination, or a standard daily cleanser.) Look for cleansers without alcohol, which can dry out your face.
- Exfoliate! Exfoliants slough off dead skin cells and give your skin a smooth, brightened look and minimize blackheads, clogged pores, and ingrown hairs.
- SPF Is a Must! Look for a broad-spectrum SPF that protects against both UVA and UVB damage. Many men’s daily moisturizers and facial hair grooming products include SPF protection these days, so you’ve got plenty of choices.
- Moisturizers Matter. Staying hydrated is key in the summertime, but moisturizers will help your skin stay hydrated from the outside-in. If you’re not into layering products, look for a multi-use moisturizer with SPF protection to keep your skin routine simple. Don’t forget to keep lips moisturized with SPF lip balms!
- Treat Sunburns Immediately. Nobody’s perfect, so if you get a sunburn, treat it like you would treat any other burn or skin injury. Calamine lotion and vitamins A, C, and E dosage will help soothe your skin, ease the pain of a sunburn, and neutralize dangerous free radicals.
- Bulldog Skin Care Oil Control Face Wash
- GIBS The Handlebar Exfoliating Soap
- St. Ives Energizing Coconut & Coffee Face Scrub
- American Crew All-in-One Face Balm SPF 15
- Rugged & Dapper Age + Damage Defense Men’s Facial Moisturizer
- Jack Black Oil-Free Sun Guard Very Water-Resistant Sunscreen SPF 45
- Use the Right Tools. Because shaving dries out already-parched summer skin, look for a moisturizing shave cream and a high-quality razor, as well as a quality trimmer for any facial hair style. While you’re trimming, seize the opportunity to stay well-kempt and take care of stray hairs in places like nostrils, ears, and eyebrows.
- Don’t Over-Shave. Even with a great skin care routine, your facial skin takes a beating in the summer heat. Try to keep shaves to twice a week with regular trimming in-between to minimize razor burn when the hotter temperatures make skin more susceptible.
- Invest in Quality Products. Aftershave balm moisturizes and balances pH levels, which repairs the damage done by the sun. While facial hair doesn’t retain body heat, scruff can cause irritation. If you’re sporting a beard, a ‘stache, or anything in-between, try to keep it trimmed and clean. Beard wash and beard oils are products that help you keep it clean, and most perform double-duty as facial cleansers, moisturizers, or sun protectants.
- Don’t Skip SPF! Just because you’re sporting a beard doesn’t mean you can skip the SPF! It’s important to protect your facial hair (and the skin beneath it) from UV damage. Sun damage can lead to dry skin, brittle facial hair, overall itchiness, and increased risk of sun damage.
- Stubble & ‘Stache Protect Beard Loving SPF 30 Daily Facial + Beard Moisturizer
- GIBS Bush Master Beard, Hair & Tattoo Oil
- LUSH Prince Shaving Cream
- Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
If this post inspired you to take charge of your summer grooming, use the Vagaro Marketplace to find local service providers to help make sure this summer, the hottest thing on the beach is YOU! If you like what you read, make sure you don’t miss Part 2 of Vagaro’s Ultimate Guide to Men’s Summer Grooming, which focuses on men’s hair care, hand and foot care, and general summer grooming tips.
Header Image: @SashaNell via Twenty20