Keeping Top Salon Employees: Appreciation Goes a Long Way
Did you know there was an “Employee Appreciation Day”? I am not sure how many people know this or acknowledge their employees on that day. In our industry, business owners are on the constant lookout for new staff members. Catherine and I are continually asked, “Why do they leave?” Maybe it’s time to look in the mirror and see what it is that causes staff to leave. The truth is; if you want special employees, you must be a special boss!
Remember that even the BEST people have to work for someone.
It’s just that you must deserve them. Research shows that feeling appreciated, which comes from recognition from others, is one of the top three drivers of employee engagement! Everyone wants to be recognized for the gifts they bring to the table. What are YOU doing to engage and reward your employees? What are you doing that makes you stand out in your community as an exceptional salon/spa owner; one that attracts new staff on a regular basis?
Showing appreciation doesn’t have to cost time or money.
What about asking two service providers if they would consider sharing one station; actually double shifting that station, increasing revenues and productivity from the business? This would be a great bonus to young mothers wanting to go back to work on a part-time basis.
Some of the perks from the Fortune Magazine’s top employer list offers paid sabbaticals, compressed workweeks, job sharing, and onsite child care. You might be surprised to find that you can offer some of these things in your own business! The compressed workweek is one idea that works well for many employees who are service providers. Consider offering your service providers the opportunity to work three or four longer days and have an extended weekend. Wow! Bonus! Wanna work there!
Here are some simple ideas to give your staff a lift:
- A sincere word of thanks costs nothing and is very effective.
- Post a thank you note on their door in their honor.
- Throw a pizza party or cake party in their honor.
- Create a simple “ABCD” card that are given when some goes “Above the Call of Duty”.
- Write about them in a company-wide email.
- Give a long-lunch, extra break, or comp time.
- Honor them at the start of the next staff meeting (recognize someone at the start of every staff meeting).
- Post a “thank you” sign in the lobby with their name on it.
- Gift them flowers, a book, or another small gift.
- Invite them to a one-on-one lunch.
- Give them a card with lottery tickets inside.
- Give them a card with movie tickets inside.
- Give them a card with a Starbucks gift
- Have the entire team sign a framed photo or certificate of appreciation.
- Send a thank you note or gift basket to their spouse.
- Arrange to have their car washed.
- Arrange to have their home cleaned.
- Feature them in the company newsletter.
- Have entire team honor them with a standing ovation at the start of the next staff meeting.
- Offer to swap a task with them for a day or week
Create new traditions in your business. They become the glue that keeps businesses and families together. Staff begin to anticipate the perks and the recognition and consequently enjoy being in your place of business. Word of mouth not only draws new clients; it also draws new hires!
Vagaro is a cloud-based scheduling software commonly used by beauty, fitness, and wellness businesses to manage booking, credit card payments and processing, marketing, payroll, inventory management, reporting, and much more.